Sunday, January 9, 2011

Home birth?

I know I'm getting way ahead of myself here but I've been doing a little bit of research on possibly doing a home birth if the baby is healthy. You don't really hear about home births in Canada except for rural areas or women who have the baby too quickly to get to the hospital. At this stage it's just a thought but I'm thinking of asking my doctor to send me to a midwife after I'm 20 weeks this time instead of an OBGYN. I've looked up what is required of a midwife and they are supposed to give you the option of a home or hospital birth. It's pretty safe, especially with us living about a 2 minute drive from the hospital. They won't do a home birth in certain circumstances ( being over 42 weeks, breech baby etc.) I'll have to do more research in the next few months and I don't even know if the baby will be considered "high risk" due to Hailey's HLHS. I'm assuming as long as the baby is given the all clear at a 32 week ultrasound it should be fine to deliver at home.

The reason I'm thinking of going this way is I really don't like hospitals. I'm also hoping not to get an epidural (might be wishful thinking) because they really creep me out! I also don't like the idea of lying in a hospital bed giving birth. I hated being stuck in the hospital while we waited for Hailey to come. You can't walk around too much and I just ended up staying in the bed for 2 days getting checked every 4 hours. I like the idea of being at home and comfortable.

Just a thought. I'm a long way away from having to make any decisions but I like looking into my options. I have my ultrasound on Tuesday and I'm really looking forward to seeing this baby. We checked the heartbeat again today so the next time will be Tuesday now. I don't really know what I'm expecting to get out of this ultrasound. I know there's a heartbeat and I'm hoping there's only 1 baby. I won't know how far along I am for another week as that's how long it takes for them to send the report to the doctor. I think although you hear the heartbeat it doesn't become real until you see the baby. I also think this is just another step toward getting my echo date. As soon as we know how far along I actually am we can book the echo and start looking toward that date. The pictures from this ultrasound clinic are REALLY crappy unless they've improved since Hailey so I'm not expecting great pictures which really sucks considering it costs $12 ish to get the pictures. If they're decent I'll put them up Tuesday night. Fingers crossed this appointment goes well!

No comments:

Post a Comment