Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Why do people ask?

I've started getting really frustrated lately. I've been having a lot of people ask when we are going to start trying again. No one knows about our recent miscarriage and it's really hard since I don't know what to tell people. I end up just giving the awkward "I don't know, not for a few months." Sometimes I really just want to say "well since we just miscarried it'll be at least 2 months before we can think of trying again."  I wonder if this is happening because of how open I was with our last pregnancy and it's expected now. I know they're trying to be nice and really just want to know how I'm doing after all we've been through but there's no way this question isn't hurtful.  I think this is such an insensitive question to ask to anyone, especially someone who has lost a pregnancy. Really there's only 4 ways this could go.
1- I'm pregnant and don't want to tell anyone in which case you'll know when I want it out.
2- We're trying but haven't gotten pregnant yet. Thanks for reminding me how much I want a baby.
3- We aren't trying  because I'm not ready but thanks for reminding me about losing Hailey.
4- We've lost another pregnancy and thanks for reminding me I'm still childless. (With this being the case it makes me really sad when people ask because I think about how I should be 11 weeks and only 1 more to go before I could tell.)

I wish I knew an answer that wouldn't let people know what we're going through but get it across that it's none of their business and don't ask again. We were only going to tell our families at 13 weeks and then wait to tell everyone else after the ultrasound/echo at 18 weeks. I'm thinking in future pregnancies it won't work since I started showing noticeably at 10 weeks with Hailey. I was hoping no one would have the guts to ask if I was because of what we went through since it's bad enough asking someone who isn't pregnant if they are let alone someone who lost a pregnancy, but apparently people have no problem asking.

I've started to get sad about this miscarriage. I figured it would happen once we passed the due date and it has. I had such high hopes for this pregnancy. I just have to keep reminding myself it'll happen one day, hopefully sooner then later.

No comments:

Post a Comment