Friday, June 4, 2010

Ashes

Well we are leaving for Australia in an hour. I'm worried about what's going to happen when we go through security. My husband filled the urns yesterday. The main one we are keeping, he put some in a second one to take with us to Australia and left some for us to take to my grandfather's grave later on. I've done my research about taking ashes with us. My first concern was Australian customs because they are so strict about what you can and can't bring into the country. I e-mailed them and they said as long as you have the cremation certificate and death certificate it's fine. I checked with the airline as well and they said to take it as carry on and we will need the same. Now my only concern is security at the airport. At the funeral home the guy told us we need the cremation certificate because the urns have so much metal in them they show up on the screen as a solid black and you can't see what's inside. I have the cremation certificate but now I'm worried because we don't get a death certificate. Because she was stillborn we can't get a birth or death certificate. The social worker at the hospital told us we could apply for a certificate of geneology but we haven't done that yet because apparently Canada is changing the format and the new ones are much nicer :) I guess we will just have to wait and see. Oh and my husband transferred the ashes on the deck last night.

I hate the flights to Australia. They are so long and boring. I can't sleep on planes either so by the time we get there I'm so tired from travelling 24 hours. I'm hoping since I haven't been sleeping well and I'm so tired already that I'll be able to get a few hours. We'll see I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment