Friday, September 20, 2013

24 weeks

How far along? 24 weeks
Baby's size? 
Cantaloupe 
Weight gain: 
Starting Pregnancy weight: 148.6 Now: 169.0 Up 20.4 lbs
Stretch marks? 
I never got rid of my stretch marks from Hailey and Lauren
Maternity clothes? 
Yup, definitely
Gender:  
Don't think we'll find out but I think it's a boy
Movement: 
All the time! This baby moves around a lot!!!
Sleep: 
Getting better. I still wake up a few times throughout the night but it takes me less time to fall back asleep.
Symptoms: 
Nothing other then my boobs are HUGE. I've switched to my nursing bra's already
Food aversions: Nothing
Food cravings: frozen blueberries
Best moments this week: Talking with my GP
What I miss: Nothing, so thankful to be pregnant again
What I'm looking forward to: Starting the "homework" for my GP


Since the doctors don't want to change my due date I'm just going to stick with what they say and my official due date is January 12th which means I turn 24 weeks on Sunday. Althought I've gained weight this week I'm a little surprised since my pants are so much looser then the were even last week. My belly has definitely grown this week and Dan actually pointed out how big it's gotten lately last night. I think I am still loosing weight in other areas like my legs and thighs etc. but putting it on where it counts, the stomach.

After my last post on Tuesday I called my GP's office Tuesday morning and saw her Wednesday afternoon. I actually saw her student first and explained that I was put on anti depressants by the maternity group last week and when I tried to talk to them about how I was feeling after reading the warning sheet given with the prescription, especially about not being able to breastfeed I was completely blown off and told not to worry about it. She asked what I was put on (Effexor), why I was put on them (feeling down, not sleeping and hardly eating) and what my concerns with the specific medication was ( the affect on the baby and breastfeeding). She then said we could definitely switch to something safer in pregnancy, her suggestion was prozac but she was going to speak with my doctor and double check it was safe for breastfeeding. She went across the hall and I heard them talking and looking through books for 10-15 minutes before she came back in and said they'd be able to switch me to another medication but want me to fill out an evaluation of how I'm feeling first. After filling it out they said I was moderately depressed and pretty much on the borderline of wether to treat with anti depressants or try alternative therapies. They gave me the option and I asked to try the therapy first. She told since I was on the lowest dose of effexor (37.5mg) to take them every second day for a week to wean myself off and not have as many withdrawal symptoms. She then gave me 2 websites that I have to go, print off worksheets, fill them out and take them back to my next appointment in 2 weeks. These sheets are supposed to help me train myself to get out of my depression when I feel it coming or am having a bad day. I've been so busy with my grandmother visiting that I haven't had the chance to go to the websites yet but here they are:

get.gg and moodgym.anu.edu.ca

She also encouraged me to go to the perinatal depression group as they would likely be giving strategies on how to cope too. She will be sending a letter to the maternity group letting them know that I will be seeing her throughout my pregnancy and she will be dealing with all aspects of my mental health but leaving the pregnancy to them. Of course eventhough my appointment is in 2 weeks I'm to come back immediately if I feel I'm not coping going off them and we will start another safer prescription. 

All and all I'm really happy with this and so thankful I came to see her. I've been wondering if my depression really was bad enough to treat with anti depressants as some days I feel fine yet others I am very down. I try to stay away from drugs as much as possible and would much rather at least give this a try first before resorting to them. I'm fully aware I may need to go on them now or at a later date but at least I know I did all I could to avoid it.

No comments:

Post a Comment