Friday, December 17, 2010

The first trimester fun!

Well going off dates I should be 9 weeks today but I think I'm really nearly 8. (I've kind of made up my own schedule since I haven't been to see the doctor after my scan and really have no idea where I'm at.) It's been a really busy week and I've now finished the project at work which is really nice since it was early morning starts and I was driving an hour each way. A lot has happened this week! First of all I got a call from the city Tuesday to say they received Hailey's memorial stone and it'll be installed soon. I went to check this afternoon but so far it hasn't been put in. To think we may actually go down on Christmas and it be there! I know it'll be really emotional seeing it. Like that last piece of closure. As soon as it's put in I'll take a pic to show what it looks like. It's fairly plain but it's exactly how I imagined it should look. I also received my parcel with my birthday and christmas present!!!!!! I convinced Daniel to buy me a doppler for christmas and the same store also sold preggie pops, which I couldn't find anywhere in Canada.

This part isn't meant to sound like complaining, it's just you tend to forget what the first trimester feels like after it's over. So I've started making a list of "awesome" first trimester symptoms!!!!!!

1) MORNING SICKNESS!!!!!!!!! Really it's throwing up in the morning and nausea the rest of the day. I've again been struggling with this. When I was pregnant with Hailey I was only sick in the morning and then felt fine the rest of the day. I sucked it up even though the doctor's told me it was safe to take Diclectin. Here's the problem I have with Diclectin..... It's only available in Canada! Here's a quote from babyzone.com " Diclectin® is the Canadian version of a medicine that was widely used in the US in the 1970s called Bendectin®, a combination of vitamin B6 and an antihistamine called doxylamine. It is one of the few drugs on which we have extensive pregnancy safety data because it was well researched back when it was in widespread use in the States. Bendectin® was taken off the market not because it caused birth defects, but because the company got tired of defending lawsuits when babies happened to be born with birth defects from moms who happened to have taken Bendectin.  "
I know it's supposed to be safe but now after having a baby with a heart defect I really have to think is it worth the risk, however small that may be and could I live with myself if I took it and we had another heart baby? I didn't take it with Hailey so I know for certain this drug did not cause her HLHS but I just don't like the idea of taking anything while pregnant no matter how safe they think it is. On a positive note I didn't have morning sickness with the miscarriage so I'm hoping this is a good sign! The preggie pops help with the nausea but only for an hour! And I've been careful to limit 2 a day (mainly for morning use.)

2) Feeling tired. I know I've been getting up early lately but when you wake up at 5 and want to take a nap by 2 that's not normal! I've completely forgotten about this part of Hailey's pregnancy, but thinking back I remember my sister and I joking that I had a parasite inside me sucking my energy. Daniel has been amazing. Not only did he cook dinner Wednesday night he also cleaned the house (I want to stay away from chemicals since I was the one that cleaned once a week while pregnant with Hailey) and did the dishes. He's really trying to help out and although I tell him often how much it's appreciated I don't think he fully understands just how exhausted I feel and how much his help really means to me. I'm hoping to at least find the energy to make it to the gym tomorrow while I have the day off since my last gym day was Sunday! At this stage I'm happy with finding the energy to do 1 hour a week!!!

3) Emotions. I cry so easily now! The smallest tiniest thing will set me off. An example..... I went to yahoo news tonight and they had a clip from a teddy bear toss during a hockey game in Calgary. Yup I cried watching all those teddy bears being thrown on the ice!!!!!

I did set up a doctor's appointment for Jan. 13th. I'll be somewhere around 11-12 weeks.  I'm hoping to hear a heart beat on the doppler before then so I can relax slightly. I know once you hear the heart beat, especially on a doppler which is after 10 weeks the rate of miscarriage should drop dramatically. We are waiting to hear this before telling our families (hopefully on new years day!)


No comments:

Post a Comment