Monday, October 11, 2010

The run

Happy Canadian thanksgiving. My week has been filled with accomplishments. On Tuesday I did my first baby at work. A 7 day old baby girl came in for a bilirubin (test for jaundice) and I decided I was going to do her. I've done children since Hailey but the youngest has been 6 months and I took the blood from his arm. This was the first time a newborn would be crying because of me. This was my first time being so close to a newborn, especially a newborn girl. I told my coworkers I was going to do it and they were great saying they'd be close by if I needed them. As I was getting everything ready all I could think about was how I didn't want to cry in front of the mother, how horrible that would be and how I'd have to explain myself. It went well though. I didn't cry (there were tears in my eyes before and after but I hold it together.)

Yesterday I also did my first 8 K run. My sister signed up to do a half marathon (21 km) and my mum, aunt and I all signed up for the 8 km road race with plans to walk it (when I signed up I was newly pregnant and  hoping I'd be 18 weeks now.) When I had the miscarriage I decided I'd plan to run it, so I've spent the past 2 months training to get up to 8 K.  Because it's getting dark earlier I've been running on the treadmill at the gym but never got further then 6.5 km. On friday a few hours before we left I decided to do the run around our local park. It took me 59 minutes to do the 8 km. I went into the run yesterday with a goal to finish under 1 hour since this run had hills and I'd never trained with hills I figured I'd be a little slower. I'm not sure what my chip time was ( you wear a chip on your shoe and it tracks when you cross the start and finish line for accurate time) but my watch said 51 minutes! My short term goal is to do a 10 km run in November (if the weather holds out and there's no snow) then take a break from running because we are going to start trying again in November and I get too hot when I run which isn't good during pregnancy. I'm going to keep up my cardio though and after we have our next baby get back to training again. I've decided I'm going to do the Disneyland half marathon, probably in 2012. 

Looking forward to turkey dinner tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment