Thursday, January 17, 2013

Ultrasound

I had my ultrasound appointment this afternoon. It was nice and quick, which for me is always a good sign. She asked the reason for the ultrasound and I said it was to double check dates but mainly to make sure there's a heartbeat. She asked if this was my second pregnancy (the form mentioned previous missed abortion) I said no 4th. I told her that my first daughter had a heart defect which also worried me about finding a heart beat. She asked if she was ok and I said no, it was fatal and explained that she had no left ventricle and a very small aorta so they couldn't do surgeries or a transplant. She then asked when we found out and I said 23 weeks. She told me there was a heartbeat (160 something) and that my dates were pretty spot on. She then asked me a lot of questions about Hailey and our pregnancies. I'm so ok with people asking questions. I'd rather them ask questions because I want people to be more aware of heart defects and what families go through. She asked about what the likelyhood of it happening again and how this pregnancy and my last are different then "normal" pregnancies. I told her that we'd have an echo done at BC women's at 20 weeks because they say our chances are 5-10% of the same defect but really they have no idea because they don't know what caused it. She was very nice and sweet and even printed out 2 pictures (that really look like nothing to me but still was a nice thought since I'd gone by myself and could then show my husband.)

I'm still finding it hard to believe everything's going well with this pregnancy. I've had no vomiting and very little nausea that I'd pretty much convinced myself it was another missed abortion. I know finding a heart beat at 8 weeks doesn't mean that there will be at 12 weeks or and so on but I'm feeling much more hopeful and know that our odds of miscarriage just dramatically dropped. I still can't get excited or even really think of planning for this pregnancy. When we get back from Australia (14 weeks) I'll start to get excited, believe this is actually happening again and tell work.

No comments:

Post a Comment